Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hump Day Music: Ice Cap Zone

It has been a little while since I highlighted a song for Hump Day Music.  So I thought I go with one of the most iconic pieces of music from my favourite franchise in gaming, Sonic the Hedgehog.  Any true Sonic fan knows what pieces of music I am talking about today.  It is the Ice Cap Zone.

Easily the best tracks in Sonic 3, Ice Cap Zone has a melody that is so soothing and peaceful, but a beat that lies under the melody and is constant and blood pumping.  A few moments after I start listening to this track, I start bopping up head back-and-forth.  It perfect fits the icy winter-like environment that is Sonic 4's Ice Cap Zone.  The Ice Cap Zone like most levels in Classic Sonic games are split into two acts before you fight that level's boss.  Each act shares the same theme, but with some variations for each act.  While the theme for Act 1 of the Ice Cap Zone is the one everybody thinks of when you mention the music of Ice Cap Zone, I personally enjoy Act 2's theme a little more than Act 1's theme.  Act 2 has a little more of a sharper sound to the music than Act 1 and the additions to the song really make the track sound that much better in my opinion.  I will be sharing both tracks (Act 1 and 2) below, so you guys and gals can choose for yourself which is the better theme, but there is no doubt that no matter which theme, Ice Cap Zone is one of the best pieces of video game music ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment