Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hump Day Music: Dance of the Holy Man

The Castlevania series is no stranger to Hump Day Music.  Konami's venerable vampire whipping platforming franchise has an incredible amount of amazing and iconic pieces of video game music.  From Bloody Tears, which I highlighted earlier in the year, all the way to Vampire Killer, great music and Castlevania go hand-in-hand.  Today, I would like to highlight a track that first debuted in Super Castlevania IV and serves as the theme to the most recognizable character in the Castlevania series, Simon Belmont.  In honour of Simon appearing in the recently announced Castlevania: Lords of Shadow- Mirror of Fate for the 3DS, today I highlight Dance of the Holy Man.

Dance of the Holy Man is easily recognizable by many as Simon's theme.  Once you hear it, you immediately think of the first Belmont to take up arms against the evil of Dracula.  Dance of the Holy Man is very infectious.  After listening it only once, it gets stuck in your head and you will even start humming it from time to time as I do on a semi-regular basis.  My favourite version of Dance of the Holy Man is the incredible orchestrated version from Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1, but I do enjoy all the other versions of the song that have popped up from time to time in other Castlevania games.  Personally there is a special place in my heart for the original piece from Super Castlevania IV.  Instead of showcasing just one version of the song, I will share the each one in this video I found on Youtube that collects each version of Dance of the Holy Man in one 9 minute video.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment