Monday, January 16, 2012

Off the Newsstand: Official Xbox Magazine Issue 131

As gamers swear allegiance to one of the Big Three (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo), there comes the need for magazines to highlight that one console developer.  These three magazines are Nintendo Power, PlayStation: The Official Magazine and the Official Xbox Magazine.  These three magazines are all owned by Future US publishing company and each target one segment of the gaming industry.  They are usually meant for hardcore fans of a certain console, but they can also bring in casual readers from time to time depending on the issue.  Personally, I read Nintendo Power each and every month as I grew up a fan of Nintendo game, but I also like reading other magazines to get a broad sense how others report on the video game industry.  So when a friend gave me an issue of Official Xbox Magazine (OXM for short) as he received two from his subscription, I jumped at the opportunity to read a magazine I have skimmed through, but never read in my life.  Things will probably not change as after reading this issue of OXM, it will be the first and last time I read an issue from this publication.

One thing I want to get off my chest right now is that I did not in the most enjoy my time reading OXM.  At first, it all seemed interesting and insightful, but when I got the middle and close to the end of the magazine, I just wanted to read something else.  Yes, these magazines that focus on one console are usually bias towards the console their magazine represents, but in all my years of reading video game magazines have I seen so many pointless jabs at other consoles.  I have read plenty issues of Nintendo Power and PlayStation: The Official Magazine and I have never seen them do anything like OXM did many times in one single issue.  They just mention that said developer worked on this acclaimed game on another console, but never sink so low to make a cheap stab at the competition.  It might make the fanboys and fangirls happy, but it comes off as classless and unprofessional.  The part I really enjoyed was reading OXM's Game of the Year awards.  I did not agree with everything they gave awards to or nominated, but it was the biggest and best written article in the magazine.  While I enjoyed that article, the cover story and Think Different article not so much.  The cover story for Ninja Gaiden 3 felt more like an extended preview than an exclusive look at the newest game in the Ninja Gaiden series.  Honestly, Game Informer's cover story on the South Park RPG was much better than this cover story.  The Think Different article came off more like filler than making me think differently about a bunch of games the OXM staff deems as "cult classics".  The previews and reviews were pretty good, but could not save this issue from tanking in my eyes.

Overall, OXM is a disappointing magazine that looks to rather make cheap stabs at other consoles than focus on promoting the Xbox brand.  Personally, I cannot take a magazine seriously if they act so unprofessionally.  Also with this issue of OXM is the last of their signature demo disc.  No longer will a demo disc be packaged with an issue of OXM, which many including myself meant a drop in it's ridiculously overpriced 12.99 price point.  Well sorry folks as I saw the latest issue in Shopper's Drug Mart and it is still 12.99 and without a demo disc, but as Future US marketing says it has better paper (grade A bullcrap if I say so myself).  With it being incredibly overpriced, extremely unprofessional and not a fun read, unless you are a hardcore Xbox fan, I would not recommend OXM to anybody.  It is definitely not worth your time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment