Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bit by Bit: January 15-21

We hit the middle of January and the news starts flowing.  Some big news happened this week, but I will get to that a bit later in this edition of Bit by Bit.  Between work, blogging, getting everything ready for my university application and avidly watching seasons 2 and 3 of Beast Wars (by the way, great show you guys should watch it), I did not get to spend a whole lot of time gaming other than playing a few demos, as you all saw with the first two editions of Demo Impressions, and a few other games here and there.  With a few more days off and a not so busy week ahead of me, hopefully I will get more time to dedicate to video games this coming week.  Now let us take a look at the best of the week.

Game of the Week
I would love to put Beast Wars here because I spent most of my time this past week watching the final few discs of the box set I got for Christmas.  It was one of favourite TV shows when I was a young'un and man has it ever aged well.  A must watch for old and new Transformers fans.  Enough of that little tangent, this is not the Show of the Week, it is the Game of the Week.  And for those still waiting for my review of Arkham City, don't worry it is coming very soon.  Even though I did not spend a whole lot of time gaming this week, I would like to put the spotlight on a game that has been in my 3DS for the past few weeks.  I have been playing it whenever I get a chance to pick up my 3DS.  This game is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, a very fun and simple RPG for the DS.  Dark Dawn is the third entry in the Golden Sun series, but it is the first one I actually own.  I played the original Golden Sun for the Game Boy Advance and even though I got to the final boss, I never really enjoyed it when I was younger.  Maybe it was my age, but right here and now I am really enjoying Dark Dawn.  It is a nice straight-forward RPG with a compelling story and a fun yet basic turn-based battle system.  Even though, I am growing sick and tired of random battles, it is easier to tolerate in Dark Dawn because you are not thrown into a battle every few steps.  At the moment, I am about eight hours into Dark Dawn's long adventure and I cannot wait to play more.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Being the end of the Mayan calendar, a lot of superstitious people are expecting an apocalypse to happen sometime before the end of the year.  Like Y2K and the Rapture, I am not the least bit worried.  In the world of one iconic Capcom franchise, 2012 maybe the end of the world as it seems that there is no hope left.  The president has been turned into a zombie, the world is overrun by a zombie outbreak of incredible proportions and it is up to Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield and another mysterious zombie fighter to save the world before it is too late.  Yes, I am talking about Resident Evil 6, which was announced this past Thursday through one amazing trailer.  Resident Evil 6 looks to up the ante on everything that has come before it in the Resident Evil series as we travel across the world to stop this global zombie outbreak with a mix of the slow tense moments from the first three games and the high action-packed gameplay from the newer games.  It looks like another great entry in the iconic gaming franchise and I cannot wait for November 20th of this year to play it.  Before you move onto the Video of the Week, watch the exciting trailer for Resident Evil 6.  One of the best trailers for a game in quite a while.


Video of the Week
On a normal week, the trailer for Resident Evil 6 would have definitely got Video of the Week, but this week was no normal week.  On Wednesday, there was the Great Internet Blackout, which saw over 75 thousand websites black out in order to protest SOPA and PIPA.  Many other sites did other things to protest the two bills such as petitions and boycotts.  One boycott I shared with you guys had gamers boycott E3 until the ESA pulled support from SOPA and PIPA.  Well yesterday, there was good news for everybody as SOPA was indefinitely shelved, PIPA on its last leg and the ESA pulling their support of these two dangerous bills.  For my Video of the Week, I would like to share ScrewAttack's Hard News from Wednesday.  The host of Hard News, Professional Jared, nails it down what SOPA and PIPA is and how and who these bills will affect.  It was a very effective two and a half minute video that really left an impact on me.  Hopefully it will leave an impact on you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment