Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bit by Bit: January 8-14

The first few weeks of the year always seem to be slow for games.  No big game releases, not much noteworthy news.  Apart from info on new tech from CES, gamers are starved for anything gaming-related to trickle down the pipeline.  At least, this downtime gives gamers much need time to play their huge backlog of games.  Do not deny it!  If you are a true gamer, you have a backlog of games to play.  So without further ado, let us get rolling.

Game of the Week
Well earlier this week, yours truly beat Arkham City.  All I to say, just wow.  I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, but I was a little disappointed in certain aspects of the game.  Arkham City adressed all my issues with Asylum and completely blew me away.  If I could revise my Top 10 Games of 2011, I would put Arkham City in the number 2 spot on the list.  It was that damn amazing.  Expect a review from me sometime next week.  Arkham City would have gotten my Game of the Week, but a kangaroo by the name of Roo stole my heart.  As I said at the end of yesterday's On the Download, I downloaded Run Roo Run for my iPad.  I have only played the first two destinations, which are comprised of 15 normal levels and 6 extreme levels each.  Each level is a unique challenge of your hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills as you try to get Roo to the checkered flag at the opposite end of the screen without hitting any obstacles in your way.  The 30 normal levels I have played are fairly easy, but man the extreme levels are extreme in every sense of the word.  To complete these levels with a gold star, you will have to be perfect.  It will take a whole lot of tries, but when you finally beat one extreme level you will feel so satisfied.  Cannot wait to pick up my iPad and play more of Run Roo Run.  I know it is too early to say, but this game might be one of my top games of 2012.  We will just have to wait and see about that, but for now Run Roo Run is my Game of the Week.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Well I don't really have a specific Most Anticipated Game of the Week.  I am most anticipating the next big release on the 3DS Virtual Console.  Last November, I bought both Metroid II and Donkey Kong and I had enough money left over on my eShop account to buy another 4 dollar Virtual Console game.  I have been waiting for just about two months now and still no Virtual Console game to entice me to use my remaining money.  If something does not come soon, I just might add a little more money to my account and buy Pushmo or a DSiWare game.  It does not help when Nintendo does not release a new Virtual Console game each week.  I know it is tough, but I check every Thursday to see if there is anything new on the eShop and it is usually just one game for the 3DS.  Please Nintendo show some more love to the Virtual Console.  There great Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games that people like myself would love to download to their 3DS.

Video of the Week
Ever try to speed run a game?  It is pretty hard.  You need to be very efficient with your time while also making little to no mistakes.  Well at a big gaming convention down in the US known as Magfest, apart of a performance by Bit Brigade, a video game cover band, Noah McCarthy took to the stage and did a speed run of Mega Man II.  While Noah was playing, the band would play rock covers of all the music in the game.  Watch this astounding 44 minute video and see for yourself.  It is a 44 minutes well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment