Sunday, January 29, 2012

Goodbye Chuck

Yes, this blog is about video games, not TV shows.  But Chuck is much about games and nerd culture as it is about crazy comedy and dramatic spy action.  From one of the primary settings for the show taking place in a huge electronics store parody of Best Buy to many mentions of different real video games such as Call of Duty and Gears of War to fake video games such as Spy Attack.  Heck, there is even an episode of Chuck that revolves around Missile Command.  If you disagree with the fact I am talking about this show on a video game blog, leave your reasons in the comments below, but I don't really care I am going to talk about it anyway.

Back in 2007, I was getting into a couple TV shows such as Lost and Heroes.  Right around the time season 2 of Heroes started, this new show called Chuck was on an hour before.  After reading a review of the pilot on IGN, I decided I would check it out.  I watched the second episode and was hooked.  The great mix of comedy and action just melted my heart and I fell in love with this little sci-fi show.  Year after year, Chuck would get to end of the season and us fans would fight to keep the show going for another season.  As we came to the end of season four, news broke that season five would be the final season of Chuck.  Well last Friday saw the series finale of Chuck and it was one emotional two-hour ride as it was the final time we would ever see these characters that we have been watching these last five years.  From the numerous nods to the pilot to one last performance from Jeffster, it was an excellent set of episodes that truly brought a good close to this great series. Even after all that has gone on, I still feel sad that there will never get to watch a new episode of Chuck.  I guess that is how it feels to stick with a show from the very beginning to the very end, dedicate so much time getting engulfed in the mythos of the show.  It feels very surreal and may take a few days for me to get over it.

Well Chuck, it has been five incredible years.  As much as I and many others would love to see a movie or more seasons of the show, I am glad that the show ended on its own terms instead of being cancelled or overstaying your welcome.  You made myself and many others smile, laugh and get excited on a weekly basis for the past five years.  Thank you to everybody who worked on the show for everything.  It has been one hell of a ride.  Goodbye Chuck.  You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment