Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bit by Bit: July 29-August 4

As we enter August, we enter the final month that I will be posting regularly six times a week.  Come the second week of September, I start university so I am going to be too busy to write a blog post every single day.  I will talk about this situation in more detail when the time comes for the change, but I would like to give a little warning so I do not surprise anybody with the news.  Now with that news out of the way, let us get on with the regular scheduled blogging.

Game of the Week
Last week, I said that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would probably be my Game of the Week.  Well a funny thing happened this past week.  I barely even picked up the game this past week.  Not that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a bad game at all because it is an excellent fighter, I just got sucked into playing a lot of my 3DS.  I did play through some more Pokemon Conquest where I completed the first of many side-stories.  My Game of the Week goes to a game that I am on the cusp of beating, but have not played it for a while.  The game in question is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for the DS.  Easily the darkest entry in this very light-hearted series, Days of Ruin takes place in the days and months following an apocalyptic meteor shower that leaves the world in absolute turmoil.  While story has never been what Advance Wars has been known for, Days of Ruin's narrative has it's fair share of enjoyable twists and turns.  The main pull of an Advance Wars game is the series' superb turn-based gameplay.  For me, great Advance Wars missions play a lot like chess with each CO trading great feats of power and strategy.  While sometimes it is easy to overpower certain opponents, it is the missions where you start at a disadvantage that are much more satisfying when you win.  There was one mission I played this week that was a nightmare the first few times I tried it.  Then the very first time I tried a different strategy, I won the mission after a long war of attrition.  Advance Wars: Days of Ruin may not  be the most popular entry in the this great turn-based strategy game series, but it is a great game for your DS and/or 3DS if you have a chance to pick it up.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
My favourite music game of all-time goes to a little 10 dollar PC game known as Audiosurf.  In Audiosurf, you literally surf your own music.  You can select any song from your music library and Audiosurf will create a track for you to surf through with your little ship.  It is an incredible experience that in my opinion has not been replicated with much success.  A little while back I saw a trailer for this unique new music game called Symphony by Empty Clip Studios.  Much like Audiosurf, Symphony can take any track from your library of music and create a level for you to play.  Instead of creating a tracks for you to surf, Symphony turns each track into a vertical shooter.  As you fight to liberate your music, you will fight bosses, discover items to help you along the way and go for the high scores.  It looks to be another gem of a music game just for the PC that many should at least take a look at.

Video of the Week
Sadly I cannot find any good video on the gymnast who did her routine at the London 2012 Summer Olympics to The Legend of Zelda music.  So in place of that I give you the latest episode of The Completionist to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment