Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bit by Bit: August 5-11

Sorry about all the delays on the posts this week.  This week was much busier than I had previously expected.  There were quite a few days when I was either busy hanging out with friends or did not fell up to writing a blog post.  In the end, I got everything done and up before the end of the week.  With the weeks winding down before school starts, I will definitely be getting busier and busier.  Let us make the best of the last few weeks of regular blog posts here on Silver Bit.

Game of the Week
At the beginning of this week, I plowed through the last few missions of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin to finally beat that game.  Even though I did spend a lot of time with Advance Wars this week, my Game of the Week goes to Symphony.  This new music game mixed with a vertical shooter is a lot of fun.  The shooter gameplay is tight and the music to level translation is incredible.  It took me a little while to get my music library to properly work with Symphony, but once it did playing through my music felt incredible.  I wanted to try each song to see how I would do and how Symphony would translate that song into a level in the game.  The inclusion of the six difficulties and online leaderboards really ups the re-playability of Symphony as you look to reach the highest score for all your songs.  While story might not be the most stellar narrative you have ever seen, it is serviceable nonetheless and makes for some really cool surprise boss battles.  I can easily see myself diving hours into Symphony like I did when I bought Audiosurf.  If you are either a fan of music game s or have a huge library of music you would like to do a little more with than just listen to, Symphony is a game to pick up.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Seeing as it comes out this Tuesday, my Most Anticipated Game of the Week goes to The Last Story.  Considering my Launch Station for the game is already up on Silver Bit, I say you should go read that for my full views on The Last Story before its' release.  I will say that for 50 dollars, people who pick up the game at launch will sure get their moneys worth.  A steelbook, an artbook and a game soundtrack along with an epic RPG from the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy.  There is no way that I am going to let this game slip through my hands because in just a few months, it will be close to impossible to find this game.  Case and point, try finding a new copy of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Video of the Week
Way back when Pokemon hit North America, Nintendo launched the games alongside the anime, which added more narrative to the plot of the games.  Along with the Pokemon games, the anime was thus catapulted into superstardom.  All the kids loved it.  Rushing home from school to watch the newest episode and singing the theme song at the top of their lungs when the show started.  I know all this because I was one of those kids.  While my love for the Pokemon RPGs never wavered, eventually the Pokemon anime grew old fast especially when it took about 20 episodes for Ash and friends to reach each gym.  Imagine if Nintendo went back to the drawing board with the Pokemon anime and decided to go in say a more mature approach to the series in order to appeal to the older fans like yours truly.  I believe the result would be this incredible cutscene for the upcoming Pokemon Black 2 and White 2.  The more I watch it, the more I wish we would see this cutscene turn into a full-on anime.  I would definitely watch it, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment