Saturday, December 3, 2011

Bit by Bit: November 27-December 3

Between work, managing this blog, playing games, finally passing my G2 Road Test and many other things, it has been a busy week for me.  In the video game industry, it was the first week in about two months time not to have any major console release.  But still rumours and other news run rampant.  I touched on the Title Fight rumour in a post earlier this week, but there has been plenty more rumours about the PS4, PS Vita, Dragon Age III and much more.  Now let us rundown the Bests this week.

Game of the Week
My Game of the Week would have most likely went to Infinity Blade II if I could actually play it, but at the moment I am still waiting for an update to make my 7 dollar purchase playable.  So I would love to give my Game of the Week to Skyward Sword again, but it would unfair to keep giving my Game of the Week to the same game.  On a side note, Skyward Sword continues to impress and is on track to usurp Uncharted 3 as my Game of the Year and possibly my favourite Zelda of all-time.  While I have been spending a huge amount of my free time playing Skyward Sword, I have also been playing a lot of Super Mario 3D Land on my 3DS, which I just completed this week.  I have played plenty of portable Mario games (the majority of them were remakes of older Mario games) and Super Mario 3D Land stands above them all as the best portable Mario game I have played.  It may not be a masterpiece like the Super Mario Galaxy games, but it does an incredible job of blending concepts and gameplay from both 2D and 3D Mario games into one cohesive package.  Super Mario 3D Land's pace is slower than past Mario games, but the pace works so well with Super Mario 3D Land's excellently designed levels that it is not off-putting at all.  Also the surprise you get after beating World 8 is just phenomenal as it nearly doubles the size of the game and is very challenging even for Mario vets like myself.  If there is one 3DS game you have to buy this holiday season, it is my Game of the Week Super Mario 3D Land.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
After reading the cover story of GameInformer's December Issue (great magazine every gamer should check out), I was going to put Rainbow 6: Patriots as my Most Anticipated Game of the Week due to its very unique and controversial story and enemies.  But yesterday Nintendo of America announced one game that made all core Wii owners including yours truly jump for joy.  That announcement is that Xenoblade Chronicles, an epic RPG that has been compared to the Final Fantasy of this generation and has already been released in both Japan and Europe, will be coming to North America next April.  This announcement is a huge win for Operation Rainfall, a group of people who have been campaigning for the last half of this year to get Nintendo to bring core Wii games Pandora's Tower, Last Story and Xenoblade to North America.  As a Wii owner and huge Nintendo fan, I fully supported Operation Rainfall's movement.  Now it is up to us gamers to do our part and make sure we buy Xenoblade once it comes out (I know I am) or else Nintendo will never do stuff like this ever again.

Video of the Week
Going with my Most Anticipated Game of the Week, the Video of the Week is first North American trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles.  Words cannot express my excitement for this game, so I am just going to leave with the trailer and you can see for yourself.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment