Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bit by Bit: December 4-10

Last night was the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards.  I will say one thing, this year I actually managed to watch the whole telecast without wanting to flick the channel.  That is not saying much since there was nothing else on TV last night and the show was still a big piece of crap.  At least it was not a total and utter train wreck like last year's show, but I would not recommend any gamer watch the show or most of the trailers.  There was a lot of news that came from the VGAs, but not much that will excite most gamers.  I will get into the details when I put up my thoughts on the show sometime in the next few days.  Right now let us look at the Bests of this week.

Game of the Week
Last Sunday, I finally got Infinity Blade II working on my iPad.  Once I figured that there is a way to fully close apps so they do not run in the background, the game started working.  As of the time of writing this post, I am on my sixth rebirth of Infinity Blade II and I still have not scratched the surface of the game and it is getting very challenging yet still rewarding.  So what I am trying to say that Infinity Blade II is my Game of the Week.  The game is just as compelling as the original.  Offering more ways to combat the immortal Deathless threat as you make your way to save the Worker.  You can use heavy two-handed weapons and dual-wielding weapons that change up your tactics.  I personally like the classic light weapon and shield combination to take out enemies.  Like in the first Infinity Blade, you battle through another castle, but this time there multiple paths that lead to completely different areas and enemies.  To complete the game you must beat the boss at the end of each path, but it will take you much longer to conquer Infinity Blade II than it did the first game.  So in between working, blogging and playing many other games this holiday season, I will be collecting more gold, fending off skilled enemies and grinding for experience and better items all in the confines of Infinity Blade II.  If your iDevice can handle it and you can find a way to run it, Infinity Blade II is definitely worth 7 dollars of your hard earned cash.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Out of all the supposed "World Premieres" at VGAs last night, one stood tall above the rest.  This re-reveal made our collective jaws drop.  Introduced at the very end of the show by Hideo Kojima and Atsushi Inaba was Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.  Metal Gear Solid: Rising was no longer as Konami and Kojima Productions have now teamed up with PlatinumGames, the studio behind crazy yet amazing Japanese games such as Bayonetta, MadWorld and Vanquish.  By the looks of it, Metal Gear Rising exudes PlatinumGames' signature insanity and it has me excited. The slice and dice combat that Kojima originally showed off more than a year ago at the E3 2010 has ramped up to ninth degree and the fact that Raiden goes mano-e-mano with a Metal Gear Ray is just breathtaking.  Cannot wait to see more of this game in the new year.

Video of the Week
Going along yet again with my Most Anticipated Game of the Week, the Video of the Week is the Metal Gear Rising trailer from last nights' VGAs.  All I can say about this trailer is that your jaw will drop more than once while watching it.  So for another weekend, I leave you all with a trailer.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment