Saturday, December 17, 2011

Bit by Bit: December 11-17

Well it is that time of year again.  The most wonderful time of the year as I have been told.  It is Christmas. Considering that I work in retail, it has been one of the most hectic weeks I have had in a long while.  If you noticed most of my posts this week were put up at the wee hours of the morning.  The reason being I worked a good eight hour closing shifts from Tuesday to Thursday so I would not get home until 11 at night.  Hopefully this week, my shifts will be a little more spaced out time-wise.  Who am I kidding?  It is the week before Christmas, most likely stuck with closing each night this week.  So expect so late and I mean late posts this coming week.  Thank you to everybody who checked out all three parts of my rant on last Saturday's Spike VGAs.  If have not, go back and check them out as they were a lot of fun to write and hopefully a lot of fun to read.  Now let us get on with my awards of the week.

Game of the Week
If there is one game that will keep me from obsessively playing Skyward Sword like there is no tomorrow, it is a game based on my other passion and my Game of the Week, WWE '12.  The only reason I bought it was that it went on sale at EB Games and it was on great buy.  The one mode I have been playing obsessively like I did with Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 is the WWE Universe mode.  THQ and Yuke's have made some amazing new additions to last year's Universe mode such as the ability to have title matches on any show not just pay-per views and more new and very unpredictable events that have me playing it almost non-stop.  I have also played 30 minutes of The Road to WrestleMania and some far it is much better than last year's.  I like the fact that Yuke's keeps on experimenting with each mode rather than releasing the same game each and every year with just a roster update.  I cannot talk about WWE '12 without talking about the controls and match flow.  First thing you will notice when you start playing is that grapples are mapped to the face buttons rather than the right analog stick.  It will take a few matches to get us to the controls, but when you do they are much easier to use and fun to play with than last year's more convoluted controls.  Also the matches flow much faster pace with the return of stored finishers and the additions of wake-up taunts and dynamic comebacks.  I touched on this in the Hump Day Music post, but I want to reiterate that the sound design this year is off the chart.  The entrance music sounds great and the impact from each move sounds authentic.  The first time you hear the crack from connecting with a devastating kick, your face will light up.  All-in-all, I am loving WWE '12.  There are still places for Yuke's to improve, but it is one great step forward after the series took a big step back with SvR 2011.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Nintendo has been on fire these last few weeks.  Making some big announcements about the games we will be enjoying in the new year.  One of those games got a release date and a brand new trailer.  That game was Kid Icarus Uprising for the Nintendo 3DS.  When Nintendo first showed off the new Kid Icarus at E3 2010, my jaw dropped.  It became the one reason I wanted the 3DS so I can play this game.  So I was very excited when Nintendo announced that Kid Icarus Uprising will be coming March 23rd next year.  The trailer shows off the run and gun action in the air and on the ground while revealing story elements and a new villain in Dark Pit.  In short, I am very excited to get my hands on this game.  March 23rd cannot come soon enough.

Video of the Week
Along with the release date, Nintendo released a new trailer for Kid Icarus Uprising.  Considering that I summarized the trailer in the last paragraph, there is not much else to say, but this trailer is great.  It will sure excite those who have waited 20 years for another Kid Icarus game or bought the 3DS for this game like myself.  If you are skeptical, just watch and see the greatness for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment