Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bit by Bit: July 1-7

This past week was very good.  Celebrated the birth of my homeland, Canada with friends, plenty of work and plenty of time to play.  It should be another relaxed week, but eventually I will have to start preparing for university this coming September.

Game of the Week
With the summer video game drought, it allows gamers to go back and play games that they may have not got a chance to play during the busy spring and winter months.  For the first time in about a good month or so, I picked up Resident Evil 5 in preparation for Resident Evil 6 coming this October.  I will have to say I had a lot of fun playing Chris Redfield's adventure in Africa even though it is a little more action than survival horror.  During the two hours I played this past week, there was a lot of action sequences and only a few tense moments.  The few tense moments were very enjoyable.  I really enjoyed the slow trek in the mines where the only source of light was this one lantern Chris has to hold.  Not knowing what is exactly in front of you was very tense and got me to jump a few times.  I also enjoyed the fetch quest for four pieces of an amulet, which you needed to use to open up the next part of the marshlands.  It offered a nice change in pace from the almost constant stream of infected enemies that you had to shoot.  The only thing I did not enjoy was the extreme difficulty spike when I had my brother join me to play co-op.  We were playing on normal difficulty and we could not get past the wolves at the beginning of Chapter 2-2.  It got so annoying that I had my brother stop playing so I could at least advance farther than the first few pathways.  Even with my frustrations with the difficulty in co-op, I did have a lot of fun with Resident Evil 5 and hope to play more this coming week because I want to beat the game before Resident Evil 6 comes out.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Well it seems to be a Resident Evil themed week as my Most Anticipated Game of the Week is Resident Evil 6.  Actually it is Resident Evil 6 Anthology for PS3.  This amazing collector's edition for Resident Evil 6 has officially confirmed to be coming to Canada so I made sure I pre-ordered it.  The Resident Evil 6 Anthology comes with Resident Evil 6 and digital copies of Resident Evil 1 through 5 all for the amazing price of 90 dollars.  For somebody who only owns Resident Evil 4 for the Wii (one of my brothers actually owns Resident Evil 5 if you were wondering), it is an excellent way to get every core game in the series.  I am going to wait and see what the reviews say about Resident Evil 6 before I decide whether to pick up my pre-order or put my 5 dollars towards my inevitable Wii U purchase.  After hearing some of the impressions of the demo, I may have a little tiny smidgen of doubt it might not turn out well, but I still have hope. At least, I have the Resident Evil 6 Anthology reserved for the first two days of it's release.  Do not get me wrong, I am still looking forward to Resident Evil 6.  I am cautiously optimistic especially considering I going to university this Fall and 90 dollars is a lot of money to spend for a student in one go.

Video of the Week
Well the trend these days seems to bump up the release of every big game.  First, Capcom bumped up Resident Evil 6's release date from November 20 to October 2.  Now Activision has bumped up Transformers: Fall of Cybertron up a week to Tuesday, August 21.  Along with the new release date, Activision dropped a brand new trailer for fans of the Robots in Disguise to drool over and it will make you drool.  Cannot wait to play this game at the end of August.  Now let us step through the Matrix.

No comments:

Post a Comment