Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bit by Bit: June 17-23

Things look to have settled down this past week.  While the work hours were long, they were a little more manageable this week.  I actually got some serious time to sit down and play.  It was well worth it  too.  With things a little less hectic this coming week, I am hoping to dedicate some more time to gaming.

Game of the Week
Well I gave into all the praise for Pokemon Conquest and bought it this past Thursday.  It was well worth it too as it is my Game of the Week.  Pokemon Conquest starts out a little slow as you learn the basics of the game.  After conquering the first few kingdoms and recruiting more warriors to your army,  which takes about two hours, Pokemon Conquest picks up steam and things really get going.  The combat is fairly simple on the surface, but has a lot of depth for advanced players to dive right into.  My only quibble with the game so far is the finicky touch controls.  For DS strategy games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, I always use the touch screen to move units.  I find it easier and more intuitive.  There have been a few times in my 2 and a half hours playing Pokemon Conquest where I had to use the Circle Pad to move my Pokemon to the correct location.  Other than that one quibble, I am having a great time playing Pokemon Conquest and cannot wait to play more.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Out of all the announcements that came out of Thursday's Nintendo Direct, I am most excited about the 8-Bit Summer initiative that is coming to the Nintendo eShop.  Finally Nintendo is releasing more Virtual Console games for the 3DS, something I have been very vocal about these last few months.  The one game I am looking forward to picking up from this initiative is Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters as it is the last game I need to complete my collection of Kid Icarus games.  While I would have loved to see Of Myths and Monsters to be released on the eShop this past March to coincide with the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising, I am happy this game will finally make it to the eShop this coming July 19th.

Videos of the Week
Not one, but two videos I have to share with you all this week.  These two videos are actually two parts of a demo of Resident Evil 6.  The demo perfectly highlights Resident Evil 6's survival horror aspects of the game.  You play as Leon Kennedy who is partnered with Helena Harper at the start of the zombie breakout.  The demo actually starts right where the first trailer starts ad Leon has just shot the zombified president.  While I do not like the constant waypoint that tells you exactly where to go, this demo does a much better job of showing the survival horror side of Resident Evil 6.  Why this demo was not shown at E3 is beyond me, but it is a great 18 minute demo that you should take the time to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment