Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bit by Bit: January 29-February 4

Earlier this week, I was looking at the line-up of games releasing this February and my jaw dropped.  For the next month or so, there will be a good two to three big game releases each Tuesday.  Don't forget the PlayStation Vita officially launches on the 15th of this month along with a line-up of five games from Sony.  Man, February is becoming the new November for video game releases.  February will be one busy month especially for Silver Bit as there will be a good two Launch Stations for the next few weeks until things start to settle down.  Before we start looking too far ahead, let us take a look at the best of the week.

Game of the Week
While I continued to play a whole lot of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, one game beat it out as Game of the Week this time around.  Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective released for iOS this past Thursday and I immediately downloaded this gem from the mind of Shu Takumi, the creator of my favourite DS adventure series Ace Attorney.  When you download Ghost Trick to your iPhone, iPod or iPad, you get the first two chapters for free, but to unlock the rest of the game you have to pay 10 dollars.  Considering how rare the original DS game is and how great it translates to iOS, Ghost Trick is definitely worth it.  The first two chapters alone provide a lot of brain-teasing Rude Goldberg-like puzzles for you to solve and a very compelling story that will keep you wanting to play more.  As I am trying to conserve my money for the line-up of games I am getting in March and April (Mass Effect 3, Kid Icarus Uprising and Xenoblade: Chronicles), I am going to wait a little while until I unlock the rest of Ghost Trick for my iPad.  The time I had playing the first two chapters was just incredible that I slapped my wrist for not buying this game on the DS when I had the chance back in December.  If you have 10 dollars to spare, go pick up Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for your iDevice, you will be in for a treat.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Speaking of Ace Attorney, this past weekend Capcom Japan officially announced Ace Attorney 5.  While this announcement was only for Japan, North American Ace Attorney fan such as yours truly is hoping that Capcom will bring the newest game in this excellent adventure series to our shores and hopefully on the 3DS.  There are many questions still left for Capcom to answer, but we will not likely hear anything until E3 or the Tokyo Game Show.

Video of the Week
There were not a lot of trailers or videos that caught my eye this week until yesterday when I stumbled upon the newest video from the Game Overthinker.  The Game Overthinker looks at certain topics in video games and gives his own spin on things in a very intelligent over thought out way.  I don't usually watch his show, but sometimes there are topics that caught my ear and his latest episode revolved around one.  The topic being "Should game companies open there vaults?"  It is a great episode that all gamers should take time to watch as it will get you to think about how the video game industry should perserve their history.

No comments:

Post a Comment