Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bit by Bit: February 5-11

Anticipation, it grows the closer you get to the game, movie or event you are waiting for.  Right now, my anticipation meter is almost about to explode.  Between my anticipation for Mass Effect 3 and WrestleMania 28 (I am a huge wrestling fan), the goosebumps are never going to go away.  With everything that is going on in the next few months, it is not hard to see why gamers (and also wrestling fans) are excited.  So let us take a look at the bests of the week.

Book of the Week
This week I did not really have a Game of the Week.  I enjoyed all the games I played, but nothing stood out and pulled me in.  Being a huge Mass Effect fan, I pre-ordered The Art of the Mass Effect Universe from Chapters last week.  To my surprise, the art book I pre-ordered just a week ago in my hands, a good two weeks it would be land on store shelves.  I was astonished and very happy.  Then I opened the packaging it came in and held this incredible hard book in my hand.  It was impressive, it was fantastic and it was only 27 dollars through Chapters.ca.  Skimming through the 184 pages of this art book made me so giddy as I saw how the amazing artists at BioWare created this incredibly rich and vast universe.  No game I played this week could compare to feeling I experienced looking through this art book for the first time.  That is why it is my Book of the Week.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
I bet all of you reading think I am going to say that my most anticipated game of the week is Mass Effect 3.  Well you are sort of right.  I my anticipation for Mass Effect 3 is at a high, but it can only go higher.  Instead I would like to focus on a strategy game that might be under the radar of most except the hardcore gamers.  The true return of XCOM, XCOM: Enemy Unknown.  From Firaxis, the team lead by the wonderful mind of Sid Meier, Enemy Unknown brings the franchise back to its strategy roots.  In command of the secret XCOM organization, you will defend the Earth against all forms of alien threats.  You control every aspect of XCOM from the resource management and technological advancements to controlling units on the battlefield.  After reading the Game Informer cover story on Enemy Unknown, I am very impressed and will be looking forward to seeing and reading more about this strategy game.

Video of the Week
This week saw Tim Schafer's Double Fine, the studio behind Psychonauts and Brutal Legend, launch their Kickstarter project to raise money for their new unannounced adventure game to great success.  Double Fine's goal for the project was to raise 400 thousand dollars.  Well at the time of writing this post, Double Fine's project has raised a whopping 1,608,461 dollars and there is still over a month to go.  If you love Double Fine, Tim Schafer or just adventure games in general, put in a pledge.  I am definitely going to before the March 13th deadline, just want to save some money up for other payments first.  If you need just a little more convincing, here is Tim Schafer himself to explain it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment