Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Bit by Bit: Fall 2014

It took two months, but I have finally emerged from my hibernation called university to bring you all your gaming goodness.  The last two months have been a never-ending onslaught of tests and assignments.  I am so glad that it is over and can dedicate some time to writing.  More than previous terms, I have really missed writing for Silver Bit.  A lot of cool and crazy things have happened these last two months in the world of video games that I have been itching to write about.  Expect to see plenty of articles being posted on Silver Bit this month.  Before we can jump to all the fun we are going to have this December, it is time to for another round of Bit by Bit.  Enjoy.

Game of the Fall
While people were banking hundreds of hours into Destiny, scouring the ravaged lands of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor or losing their sanity with The Evil Within, I had my face planted into my 3DS or Wii U during short breaks from school and work.  With a shorter time to play, I have kept to playing games in half-hour or hour chucks depending on the day.  In that time, I alternated between playing Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Bayonetta for Wii U.  Out of these two games, I have to give my Game of the Fall to Bayonetta.

Although I bought Bayonetta for PS3 back in 2011, I only played it one time in my three years owning the game.  I always wanted to play more of Bayonetta, but never got around to it.  In a spark of genius, the original Bayonetta comes packaged with Bayonetta 2.  This Wii U version of the game gave me the perfect opportunity to finally beat it.  Bayonetta was a wondrous yet surreal experience.  Like all games made by Platinum Games, Bayonetta is balls-to-the-wall insane in both story and gameplay, but I would never have it any other way.  Bayonetta had me rolling on the floor laughing more than any game has in years, thanks to its over-the-top set pieces and moments.  Aside from all the craziness of Bayonetta, it is overly sexual to the point of being uncomfortable at times.  While I comprehend it as Platinum's unique way of parodying exploitation films, these sexual tones may turn some people off and its understandable.  Another thing that may divide people's opinions on Bayonetta is its difficulty.  Even on normal, the game will put you through the ringer.  While I can see it frustrating many, I found it incredibly rewarding to master a level or sequence after dying multiple times.  

I could go on about Bayonetta for pages, but I don't have the space.  Overall, Bayonetta is an incredible action game that deserves your attention if only to watch some of the absolutely insane moments in the game.  You get to start a motorcycle with your middle finger and punt a god into the sun.  'Nuff said.

Video of the Fall
Sticking on the Wii U bandwagon (it's like I haven't got off of it all year), there was only one video that rocked my heart and soul.  It was Nintendo's 50-Fact Extravaganza for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.  While it did take away the element of surprise by revealing every detail about the game, this video made me so excited for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U that couldn't handle the anticipation.  If you have the time, take 35 minutes to watch this video to see everything that will make Super Smash Bros. for Wii U one of the greatest games of 2014.  Immediately following the video, proceed to run to the nearest game store and buy a Wii U and copy of the game.  Spoiler alert: it's that damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment