Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bit by Bit: December 9-15

I'm back!!!  It has been a long time and no blog.  Way back in September I was very hopeful that university would not consume my whole life and I would have time to write, but I was wrong.  These last few months have been one big emotional roller coaster for me and not in a good way.  Now that I am finished with my first and now final term in Mathematics (moving onto a new major), I am hoping that things get back to normal and I will be able to dedicate some time to blog once or twice a week.

Even with all the crazy stress that came with school, I still managed to dedicate some time to playing games in order to relax and keep me sane.  While I dedicated some serious time to the 3DS, Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360, there is one system that has basically sucked a lot of gaming time this past month.  I am talking about the Wii U.  Yes, I am one the lucky people who managed to pick up a Wii U on launch day and, apart from a little puzzle game that I will talk about in a bit, I have been spending a ton of time with this new Nintendo console.  I will talk much more about the Wii U in the coming weeks as I want to do a post on my full impressions on this new machine and hopefully get a review or two up once I finish either Darksiders II or New Super Mario Bros. U.  Without any further ado, let us rundown the bests of the week.

Game of the Week
I have picked up many games for free through Club Nintendo these last few months, but there is only one I have put over 10 hours into.  That game is the classic Game Boy puzzler, Mario's Picross.  Mario's Picross has hundreds of puzzles on varying sizes of grids with the max being 15 by 15.  Picross has players mark boxes on the grid according to numbers that appear on the side and top of the grid.  You get 30 seconds to solve the puzzle and your reward for solving said puzzle is a picture.  What starts out as a fairly straightforward task gets very challenging pretty quick.  The difficulty in Mario's Picross ramps up pretty quick and it might take quite a few puzzles to adjust to the difficulty, but once things click Mario's Picross becomes one excellent brainteaser that keeps your brain keen as you find patterns, look for symmetry and figure out other tricks to help solve these puzzles.  Mario's Picross is perfect for the handheld as it is enjoyable both in short bursts and long stretches.  While there are a few puzzles that can be quite frustrating, Mario's Picross is very rewarding as completing a puzzle feels like an incredible accomplishment.

Most Anticipated Game of the Week
Mega Man.  Street Fighter.  Classic 8-bit graphics and gameplay.  Free.  Enough said.  Now enjoy this video and download it for the PC starting tomorrow.



Video of the Week
This past Tuesday saw the final issue of Nintendo Power hit newsstands across North America.  Being a subscriber to this incredible magazine for the past 11 years of my life, feelings were mixed when I received the final issue in the mail a few weeks ago.  Apart of me felt so nostalgic and happy seeing the cover and looking through the issue, which is an incredible celebration of this monumental magazine.  Another part me felt said that this issue would be the last new issue of Nintendo Power I would ever hold in my hands.  Like it says on the final page of Issue 285 of Nintendo Power, it is truly Game Over for Nintendo Power.  Now let me share Screwattack's Top 10 Reasons They Love Nintendo Power as a final sendoff for this incredible magazine.  Rest in peace, Nintendo Power.  You will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment