Monday, January 15, 2024

The Games I Beat in 2023: Q1

My 2023 had plenty of ups and downs. A massive down was a continuation from 2022 in my unemployment. While I would eventually find employment by the end of September, I had a surplus of free time in the proceeding months. To keep myself sane between the nearly daily grind of job searching, I played a whole lot of video games, and subsequently beat many along the way. 

Inspired by Twitter user Vedran's (@Jamsch101) incredible thread listing the games he beat in 2022, I thought to make one of my own. Instead of doing the exact same thing, I wanted to add my own twist. So, in addition to mentioning the game, its developer, what I played it on, and a photo of the game, I included my playtime as long as that information was easily available, my rating for the game out of 10, and a short sentence or two review (however long I could get with Twitter's character count). 

So starting from when I got home from my early-to-mid January trip to Japan, I catalogued every game and DLC I beat on my Twitter (@AJSilver22). However, over the course of 2023, a certain manic billionaire threatened the stability of Twitter as a platform. Wanting to prepare myself for the eventuality that Twitter may collapse, I have been thinking of ways to preserve this thread outside of a personal Excel document. 

While I will continue to post on Twitter, I am going to post on multiple platforms. First of which being Bluesky (@ajsilver.bsky.social). The second place I will be posting is here on Blogger, with updates coming on a quarterly basis.

To give you taste on how these posts will be formatted going forward, I am posting the entirety of 2023's list, split into each quarter of the year and with a few corrections. So, I hope you enjoy my journey through this medium we all love, and either come back every three months or so to check out the new ones or follow it live on Bluesky and Twitter.

January

Game 1: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Developer: Insomniac Games
Played on: PS5
Release: 2021

Playtime: 14 hours 38 minutes
Rating: 9
Thoughts: Rift Apart does an excellent job of bringing Ratchet & Clank up to Sony's cinematic standards while maintaining the series' core sensibilities.

February

Game 2: Hi-Fi Rush

Developer: Tango Gameworks
Played on: Series X via Game Pass
Release: 2023

Playtime: 10 hours 55 minutes
Rating: 9.5
Thoughts: With its unique blend of rhythm and action, Hi-Fi Rush is the home run that Microsoft has sorely needed.

Game 3: Aperture Desk Job

Developer: Valve
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2022

Playtime: 37 minutes
Rating: 7
Thoughts: With its short length, excellent writing, and free price, there is no reason not to play Aperture Desk Job. Moreover, it's an inventive tutorial for the Steam Deck.


Game 4: Metroid Prime Remastered

Developer: Retro Studios
Played on: Switch
Release: 2023

Playtime: 13 hours 20 minutes
Rating: 10
Thoughts: 20 years has done little to take the shine off this certified classic.

March

Game 5: Pokemon Picross

Developer: Jupiter
Played on: 3DS
Release: 2015

Playtime: 62 hours 20 minutes
Rating: 7
Thoughts: Easily the most approachable and unique take on Picross. Unfortunately, the freemium model bloats the experience and kills the pacing.


Game 6: Ittle Dew

Developer: Ludosity
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2013

Playtime: 2 hours 26 minutes
Rating: 7
Thoughts: A short and sweet parody of classic Zelda. However, the humour can be hit or miss.


Game 7: VVVVVV

Developer: Terry Cavanagh
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2010

Playtime: 2 hours 2 minutes
Rating: 8
Thoughts: A challenging little platformer that is hard to put down.

Game 8: Mosaic

Developer: Krillbite Studio
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2019

Playtime: 2 hours 24 minutes
Rating: 7.5
Thoughts: If you're willing to play something that's more an experience than a game, Mosaic offers poignant social commentary on work and business.

Game 9: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Developer: Nihon Falcom
Played on: PC
Release: 2015

Playtime: 66 hours 5 minutes
Rating: 9.5
Thoughts: Despite being a little bloated in places, Sky SC has the strongest storytelling and world-building in gaming.

Game 10: Ittle Dew 2+

Developer: Ludosity
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2016

Playtime: 5 hours 17 minutes
Rating: 6
Thoughts: Despite the ambition, Ittle Dew 2, unfortunately, trades its predecessor's charm for superficial difficulty and frustrating dungeon design.

Game 11: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Developer: The Coalition
Played on: Series X via Game Pass
Release: 2015

Rating: 6.5
Thoughts: Don't let the subtitle fool you, this remaster is held back by technical issues and horrendous AI. At least, the gameplay holds up well.

Game 12: Helltaker

Developer: vanripper
Played on: Steam Deck
Release: 2020

Playtime: 2 hours 18 minutes
Rating: 7.5
Thoughts: Helltaker sets a high bar among freeware games with great art, writing, and puzzles. However, the short length causes difficulty to spike quickly.

Game 13: As Dusk Falls

Developer: Interior/Night
Played on: Series X via Game Pass
Release: 2022

Playtime: 5 hours 37 minutes
Rating: 8
Thoughts: A gripping Choose Your Own Adventure that breezes by. Its only big stumble is the abrupt sequel-baiting ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment