Sunday, January 20, 2013

Year in Review 2012: Game of the Year

When I thought of doing this set of Year in Review articles, I did not think it would have taken me this long to complete it all.  It seems work, school and life just gets in the way.  One great result from this set of articles taking so long has been that I have gotten back into the swing of things.  It has gotten to the point that I have deemed Sunday evenings as my time to sit back and just write.  So I am hoping posts will be much more frequent this school term.  Hopefully once a week, but things might change middle to late February when I start my annual Road to WrestleMania series of posts on my wrestling blog.

Some may have noticed that while I did list my Top Games of 2012 last week, there was no game specified as Game of the Year.  Was there no games in 2012 that were worthy enough to garner this prestigious award?  Did I just missed out on what could have easily been my favourite game of 2012?  If you have been following this blog for a while now, you know the answers to both of these questions, which is no.  Out of all the great games I have listed over the past few articles, there is one game that made 2012 for yours truly.  The one game that I booked the day off work to play when it launched, the one game that I could not stop talking about for the first few months of 2012, the one game that I dedicated an entire week of blog posts to.  My Game of the Year for 2012 is none other than Mass Effect 3.
In Mass Effect 3, your main goal is to amass an intergalactic army to take on the Reapers and take back Earth.  With the stakes set incredibly high, you take your Commander Shepard (either new or imported from the previous games) through easily the strongest story in the entire trilogy.  The story twists and turns as you make some of the toughest choices in the series.  Choices so immense that they can determine the fate of entire civilizations.  Mass Effect 3's story you make you think, reflect, laugh, cry, smile and hate.  It is very easy to get emotionally attached to these characters and thinking about all the possible outcomes of your one decision will circle in your head for days.  The entire Mass Effect trilogy has been an experience like no other in the video game industry.  Seeing my Shepard evolve and my decisions reverberate throughout the annals of these games has been spectacular.  Mass Effect 3 serves as an excellent finale to this grand trilogy of games.

No matter all the supposed controversy with the ending that many jaded gamers got so hung up (an ending that I had no problem with), Mass Effect 3 is the one game that I had the most fun with in 2012. Be it spending 30+ hours completing all the side and story missions, slaying waves of enemies in multi-player in order to boost my Galactic Readiness Rating or continuing the story through some of the DLC released later in the year, BioWare's finale to their epic space opera was the only game that captivated me this much.  In my opinion, Mass Effect is my favourite game of 2012 bar none.  Agree or disagree with me, I hope you all enjoyed these Year in Review articles and would like to hear your favourite games of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment